Before doing my YIC (YOGA Instructor Course) course in S-VYASA (Swami Vivekananda YOGA Anusandhāna Samsthāna), I was in the perception that I knew yoga as I had learned and was practicing few āsanās & prāṇāyāma from a decade. I presumed I knew it and joined the course to learn few more of them and to get certified. But only later that I realized that the āsanās & prāṇāyāma are just a part of yoga, it’s a much deeper philosophical subject and there is loots to explore!
I believe most of you are also in that perception and hence I have made an attempt to write this blog..
So what is YOGA???
Continue reading YOGA, definition and a brief introduction to origin, history and development of YOGA
Pre-requisite : YOGA, definition and a brief introduction to origin, history and development of YOGA <Do read this blog 1st for better understanding.>
Maharshi Patanjali in his Patanjali Yoga Sutras (PYS) gives Ashtanga Yoga i.e. 8 limbs of Yoga in 2nd & 3rd chapters called Sādhana Pāda & Vibhūti Pāda. The following sutra gives the 8 steps of yoga.
Continue reading Patanjali’s Ashtanga Yoga
Being immensely radiant and a life giving force on earth, the Sun ☀️ is the representation of the invisible supreme power that nurtures and sustains the universe. Suryanamaskara is sun ☀️ salutation 🙏 , it combines yogasanas and pranayama. It is best done during sun rise or sun set time, facing the sun. It is to be done after Śithilīkarana Vyayama and before Yogāsanas. Prayer to be recited before Suryanamaskara:
Hiranmayena patrena satyasyapihitam mukham |
Tatvam pusanna parvenu satyadharmaya drstaye ||
Meaning: Like a lid to a vessel, O Sun! Your older orb covers the entrance to Truth. Kindly open the same & lead us to Truth.
There are 12 āsanas in one round of Suryanamaskara each to be done with breathing patterns as instructed. Each round of Suryanamaskara is done after utterance of
Om <Bīja mantra> <Corresponding name of Sun God> Namah in the following sequence, the meaning is given just for your reference:
- Om Hrām Mitrāya Namah <Salutations to the friend of all>
- Om Hrīm Ravaye Namah <Salutations to one who shines>
- Om Hrūm Sūryāya Namah <Salutations to one who induces activity>
- Om Hraim Bhānave Namah <Salutations to one who illuminates>
- Om Hraum Khagāya Namah <Salutations to one who moves quickly>
- Om Hrah Pūsne Namah <Salutations to one who gives strength>
- Om Hrām Hiranyagarbhāya Namah <Salutations to golden cosmic self>
- Om Hrīm Maricaye Namah <Salutations to Lord of dawn>
- Om Hrūm Ādityāya Namah <Salutations to son of Aditi>
- Om Hraim Savitre Namah <Salutations to stimulating power>
- Om Hraum Arkāya Namah <Salutations to one who fits to be praised>
- Om Hrah Bhāskarāya Namah <Salutations to one who leads to enlightenment>
Mantra is a combination of sound designed to produce specific effect on mind and its function. Bija mantras or seed syllables are an evocative sounds that have no literal meaning in themselves, but setup powerful vibrations of energy within the mind and body thereby influencing and stimulating certain nerve centres in the brain that corresponds to respiratory, circulatory & digestive systems and make them more active, efficient & healthy.
1 round of Suryanamaskara: Initial pose to start with – Pranamasana
- Chaturanga Dandāsana
- Astānga Namaskāra
Come back to Pranamasana.
- Helps reduces visceral fat (intra-abdominal, deep fat wrapped around major organs – liver, pancreas & kidneys), if any.
- Brings flexibility to spine & limbs.
- Enable practitioners to breathe right.
- Boosts circulation of blood.
- Additionally when done outdoors facing the Sun ☀️ , the life giving rays plays on the body – sucking away toxins & imparting life to human organism. Also we get our daily dose of Vitamin D.
Hope the blog was informative. Do subscribe by giving your email id below👇, to receive new blog updates. Thankyou 🙏!
Lets see the definition of Āsana🧘🏻♀️:
Sage Patanjali in his Patanjali Yoga Sutra’s defines āsana as
- Sthiram + Sukham + Āsanam (PYS 2.46)
Āsana is a physical posture that is steady & comfortable.
Continue reading Patanjali Yogāsanas and it’s pre-requisites
Palakhowa is a traditional milk sweet which can be prepared no time once the khoya is ready…
- 1C Homemade organic khoya
- 3/4C Organic raw sugar <add according to your taste>
- pinch of cardamom powder (optional)
Continue reading Homemade palakhowa
A marble cake gets its name as the cake has a streaked or mottled appearance (like marble) achieved by lightly blending light and dark batter.
Please follow my basic sponge cake recipe and the below steps.
- Divide the batter into two equal half. Pour one half into the greased baking tray.
- In another half add 6tsp of raw cacao powder & 2tsps of raw cacao nibs, gently pour the batter on top of the vanilla batter.
- Spear it gently pat the tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40mins or until done <prick toothpick in the centre, it should come out clean>.
Liked the recipe? Do give it a try & subscribe for post updates!
French toast is sure to be liked by most of the kids and adults too. If I’ve not planned anything for breakfast then this is my saviour 😉. It takes just 15mins to prepare and since we use wholesome ingredients it’s a very healthy breakfast option.
Continue reading Homemade wholesome french toast