I extensively use these oils – coconut, sweet almond, seasame, olive & jojoba as ingredients in my skin care DIYs n if you wanna know why??? Do read their benefits for the skin…
And for those who are in the perception that applying oil would clog pores, lead to blackheads & breakouts – a big NO… In fact its the contrary – oils prevent them! U just need to know the right one for your skin n how to use them. Oils are wonderful natural moisturisers that makes your skin supple, soft, hydrated and healthy!
Continue reading 5 body oils for healthy n glowing skin
Phool makhana / lotus seeds / fox nuts are the seeds of the plant Eurayle ferox. These seeds are popped before they are brought to the market to be sold and hence they are called phool makhana. It is an amazing source of calcium, protein, fiber & antioxidants and has wonderful health benefits, check this article to know the nutrition facts.
- 1C phool makhana
- 1tbsp ghee
For the paste:
- 1 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 green chillies
- 2 onions sliced
- 10 cashews
- 3 tomatoes 🍅 sliced
- 1tsp ginger n garlic finely chopped
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 tsps daniya pwd
- 1/2 tsp chilly pwd
For tadka & garnish:
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2C pre-boiled organic whole milk / fresh coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp grated jaggery
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
How to make?
- In a frying pan add 1/2tbsp ghee and roast the phool makhana until a little golden brown and then keep them aside.
- In the same pan roast the cashews and keep aside.
- In the same pan add all the ingredients listed under for the paste section in the mentioned order. Sauté the onions until golden brown and the tomatoes until done as shown below 👇
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool and then blend to a fine paste.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee & splutter cumin seeds,add this paste and sauté until you get a nice cooked aroma. Add some water and boil for few minutes with closed lid.
- Finally add the above roasted makhana. Add milk and a dash of jaggery. Make sure the consistency of the gravy is a little thin as it would become thicker once it cools.
- Sauté it and switch off the flame, take it to a serving bowl & garnish with coriander leaves. Tasty phool makhana gravy is ready, it goes well with pulkas. Everyone @my home like it, so give it a shot…
Liked the recipe? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates. Do try the recipe and let us know how it turned up in the comments below 👇. Thankyou!
Almonds are just amazing in taste and are powerpacked with super nutrients like – biotin, vitamin E, manganese, copper, vitamin B12, phosphorous, magnesium, molybdenum & fiber! My LO loves having variety of nuts & dry fruits for snacks daily. Thanks to the Ajfan dates & nuts store near by that I get them, all fresh n that too unpacked, I carry my tins n jars n they fill it up for me! All I have to do is place them in the shelf, isn’t that cool! <Well if u think 🤔 it’s kinda crazy learn more about zerowastehome here.>
📌 Do you know?
- Many researches found that nut consumption is linked to a lower risk for heart disease. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease. Care about your heart? Go Nuts 😉!!
- Almonds provide double-barrelled protection against diabetese and cardiovascular disease.
- Almond’s healthy fats may help you lose weight.
- Almonds help prevent gallstones.
Read this article to find almond nutrition facts in detail.
- 1C Almonds
- 1/4C organic sugar
- Few strands of saffron
- Few cardamoms
How to make?
- Soak the almonds overnight in bowl of water 💦.
- Drain the water and peal the almonds.
- On a very low flame dry roast them until they turn a light brown, like this 👇 <optionally you can half the almonds to fasten the roasting>
- Add saffron & cardamom to the mixer.
- Add sugar to it and blend to a fine powder and keep it aside.
- Add almonds to the mixer and blend low in short intervals to attain a course powder. <*over blending will release oils from the almond and it would turn into a paste instead, plz note!>
- Finally add the above prepared sugar powder and blend it once. Voila! homemade almond / badam powder is ready!
- This s soo rich in nutrients, taste & flavour too. It can be used in preparing hot/cold badam milk 🥛 and can be added to prepare several desserts like badam kova, badam kheer, badam kulfi <recipes to come up soon> etc.
Liked the recipe? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates. Try it out and share how it turned out in the comments below 👇. Thankyou!
The most thirst-quenching & juicy fruit of all is definitely watermelon 🍉 since it has an extremely high water content, approximately 92% and has a sweet and delicious taste too… It is particularly refreshing on a hot summer ☀️ day, and is the ultimate summer fruit!
Watermelon is a good source of vitamin C and contains decent amounts of potassium, copper, vitamin B5 and vitamin A (from beta-carotene). It is a good source of two powerful & beneficial plant compounds, the amino acid citrulline and the antioxidant lycopene, that have been linked to lower blood pressure, improved metabolic health and decreased muscle soreness after exercise. For more nutrition details read this article.
We <family of 3 👪> consume half a small watermelon 🍉 everyday – I like eating them as is, my hubby likes the juice with breakfast & my LO loves having these popsicles!
- 1C Watermelon 🍉 diced
- 1tbsp Höney 🍯
How to prepare?
- Put the diced watermelon peices and honey in the blender and blend.
- Using a course metal sieve, separate the pulp & the juice. Pour the juice into the popsicle moulds like these 👇
- Freeze for few hours. To remove them easily from the moulds place them 3/4th immersed in water for a min. & hold the stick and pop them out…
They take like less than 5mins. to prepare and ur LOs are sure gonna love them!
P.S: Liked the post? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates!
Mango is one of the delicious seasonal fruits grown in the tropics. If you have tasted the perfect Mangoes specially the organic ones from the farm you would definitely agree that they are exotic, super fruit & the king of fruits! It’s the most popular, nutritionally rich fruits with unique flavor, fragrance & taste and moreover one cup of mangos is just 100 calories – so it’s a satisfyingly sweet treat & is all packed with good and essential nutrients!
Each serving of mango is fat free, sodium free and cholesterol free. Mangos are loaded with vitamins and minerals – Vitamin A, B6, folate, C & K and moderate amount of copper, potassium, calcium, iron & dietary fibre. Hence have many health benefits – prevents cancer, lowers cholesterol, clears skin, improves eye health, improves digestion & boots immune system. Check out this article to know in detail about the health benefits.
Though nothing can beat the taste of the fruit as it is, you could try this mango milkshake / smoothie with the mangoes that are not so sweet in taste and it will get cleared up in no time..
Continue reading Homemade mango milk 🥛shake
Hello friends! I hope you’ve already read my previous blogs – DIY all-natural pre-wash nourishing hair conditioner & DIY all-natural hair serum to manage frizzy hair. If not please do, as I have written on why I have chosen these for my hair. If you have one of these problems and are sick n tired using false promising & chemical laden shampoos, look no beyond than this DIY shampoo…
- Hair fall?
- Damaged & brittle hair?
- Early grey hair?
I have been using this diy shampoo since my childhood until my teens… Yep I did get carried away by the misleading advertisements 😬, and departed from it for few years… I have a very thick, long and wavy hair and never had faced any hair problems other than frizzy hair. Suddenly a year after having a baby, every time I washed my hair I noticed a handful would fall 😮. I changed my shampoos, tried x,y & z only to notice more hair fall… In between I was greatly influenced by the zero waste lifestyle by Bea Johnson & the zero waste girl Lauren Singer, watched their tedex talks & read few wonderful books which changed my perspective and made me realise how the small things that we do unknowingly on a daily basis can impact nature… And cause of these two major reasons I went back to my basics and started using this all-natural shampoo.
Continue reading DIY all-natural bio-degradable hair shampoo
The aloe vera plant is about one or two feet tall with prickly and bitter leaves, which act as a defence to keep animals and insects from feeding on the plant. The leaves hold a gooey translucent gel, also extremely bitter, and known all over the world for it’s unbelievable healing properties. This translucent gel is made up of around 96% water, some organic and inorganic compounds, a type of protein which contains 18 of the 20 amino acids found in the body and lastly, vitamin A, B, C, E and beta carotene which gives it its nourishing and anti-ageing qualities. Aloe vera gel can be used in the winter 🌥 as well as in the summer ☀️ and by people of all skin types. Aloe vera is one plant that works wonders on skin, it treats the cells on the epithelial level of the skin which is why it’s ideal to remove tan, treat sunburn and stretch marks. Once you apply it to your skin, you’ll notice how soothing 😇 and cooling ❄️ it is! Aloe vera gel is even good for your hair, it contains something called proteolytic enzymes which repairs dead skin cells on the scalp. It also acts as a great conditioner and leaves your hair all smooth and shiny. It promotes hair growth, prevents itching on the scalp, reduces dandruff and conditions your hair.
Other than this it has an amazing healing power. Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and has antioxidant properties that aid in healing. Ayurveda refers to aloe vera as the miracle ✨ herb that can be used to treat wounds, minor cuts, dry skin and severe burns.
When ever my LO 👦 or anyone at my home 🏡 gets hurt ( minor cuts / burns / wounds), nope I don’t use band aid / antiseptic, instead I get some aloe vera from my garden and apply the fresh gel to it, allow it to air dry and then leave it. It magically gets clotted & healed very quickly. After experiencing and practically seeing it’s healing power I’ve felt in love with this miraculous ✨ plant.
Continue reading DIY fresh n all-natural aloe vera gel n cubes
This recipe is specially for all those mango lovers out there… I’ve already shared my love 😍 for mangoes in my earlier post and homemade ice cream recipe too… The mad-over-mango fever made me try this mango ice cream 🍦 and my 4yr old LO loved it! He even complimented telling “it tastes yum 😋 n I liked it more than the one I had outside” < btw he had a mango ice cream from BR just few days back>, n I was flattered for that compliment 😃!
Continue reading Homemade organic mango ice cream 🍦