I have experimented with many sponge cake recipes and this has been the best of all… If you never had luck with baking a cake, look no further than this recipe! I use this as my base recipe and prepared endless variations by preparing different shapes (cakes / muffins / cupcakes), adding different flavours (vanilla pod / grated lemon 🍋 zest / orange 🍊 zest), adding different nuts (almonds/ walnuts / pecan nuts / hazel nuts) and dry fruits (blueberries/ raisins / dates / figs / cherries 🍒)…
- 225gms organic wheat maida / all-purpose flour
- 225gms unsalted butter (I use homemade)
- 225gms organic sugar (If you have a sweet tooth make it 300gms)
- 4 eggs (I use farm fresh eggs)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 vanilla pod (for flavour)
- Chopped nuts / dry fruits / cacao nibs to garnish (optional) ( I get all the fresh nuts n dry fruits from Ajfan Dates n Nuts in my locality.)
Most of the ingredients are available on amazon or check your local organic store.
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In sauce pan melt the butter.
- Put the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla pod in a large bowl and whip until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and whip.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder.
- Gently add the flour into the prepared whipped purée and mix it with a spoon gently folding in one direction.
- Pour the batter into greased cake pan of desired shape / muffin / cupcake moulds.
- Sprinkle few chopped nuts or cacao nibs on it or leave it as is.
- Bake it at 180C for 40mins or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool n then slice 🍰 before serving…
Plain vanilla sponge cake –
Vanilla muffins with chopped nuts & cacao nibs –
Vanilla sponge cake with cacao nibs
Stored in a airtight glass mason jar –
Do try it out and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Liked the blog? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and follow the blog for post updates!
One thought on “DIY organic vanilla sponge cake or muffin”
You had me at sponge!! These are to die for
LikeLiked by 1 person