I don’t use sugar much on a daily basis for consumption instead opt for alternatives like organic jaggery, local n wild honey 🍯 and dates / date syrup. For occasional sweet treats if I have to use sugar – I opt for organic raw unpolished one like this. Guess everyone by now are aware of the fact that high sugar (a.k.a sweet white poison) intake is very bad for our body, read this to know details… but when used externally as a body scrub, it’s just wonderful!
Sugar is natural humectant, which means it draws moisture from its surrounding to the skin. So it hydrates the skin and allows the moisture to stay within. It exfoliates the skin, sloughing off dead cells, it is high in glycolic acid (or AHA) which dissolves old dead skin and leaving a younger looking skin. Oils, as already discussed in my previous post, are very good moisturisers for the skin. Hence sugar & oil are the two main ingredients chosen for this all-natural body scrub.
- 1C organic sugar
- 1/4C organic carrier oils ( I’ve used cold pressed virgin coconut oil & sweet almond oil)
- Herbs 🌿🍃 🌹🌼🌸 & essential oils (optional)
How to make?
Mix all ingredients and store in an air tight glass jar. Done!
- Soothing lavender & lotus sugar scrub (with dried lavender & lotus flowers & lavender essential oil)
- Romantic rose 🌹 sugar scrub (with dried rose petals & powder)
- Peppermint coffee sugar scrub (with peppermint essential oil & fresh ground coffee powder)
- Healing herb 🌿🍃 sugar scrub (with basil, mint & neem leaves)
How to use?
- Scoop 1 spoon 🥄 or as needed before the shower. Make sure the spoon is dry n close the jar immediately after usage. Ensure the content in the jar remains water free. It should stay fresh for about 3 months.
- Scrub damp skin with this mixture and rinse well. <*key, don’t scrub on dry skin.>
- Use very granular sugar and be gentle while scrubbing the face.
- This works amazingly well on the lips 👄 (for peeling lips) & foot 👡 (for cracked foot).
- Shower as usual and moisturise immediately after pat drying with carrier oils / all-natural whipped body butter / all-natural lotion bars or thick body butters / all-natural lip balms.
It smells heavenly and will leave your skin feeling like silk!
P.S: You can scrub/exfoliate once in a week. However if you have sensitive skin, you can do it less often. While scrubbing your body, remember not to scrub too hard, be gentle!
Liked the post? Do give it a thumbs up and subscribe for post updates.
P.S: Essential oils are to be used in a diluted form. Read the how to use & word of caution section in my post on essential oils to know the details.