The aloe vera plant is about one or two feet tall with prickly and bitter leaves, which act as a defence to keep animals and insects from feeding on the plant. The leaves hold a gooey translucent gel, also extremely bitter, and known all over the world for it’s unbelievable healing properties. This translucent gel is made up of around 96% water, some organic and inorganic compounds, a type of protein which contains 18 of the 20 amino acids found in the body and lastly, vitamin A, B, C, E and beta carotene which gives it its nourishing and anti-ageing qualities. Aloe vera gel can be used in the winter 🌥 as well as in the summer ☀️ and by people of all skin types. Aloe vera is one plant that works wonders on skin, it treats the cells on the epithelial level of the skin which is why it’s ideal to remove tan, treat sunburn and stretch marks. Once you apply it to your skin, you’ll notice how soothing 😇 and cooling ❄️ it is! Aloe vera gel is even good for your hair, it contains something called proteolytic enzymes which repairs dead skin cells on the scalp. It also acts as a great conditioner and leaves your hair all smooth and shiny. It promotes hair growth, prevents itching on the scalp, reduces dandruff and conditions your hair.
Other than this it has an amazing healing power. Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and has antioxidant properties that aid in healing. Ayurveda refers to aloe vera as the miracle ✨ herb that can be used to treat wounds, minor cuts, dry skin and severe burns.
When ever my LO 👦 or anyone at my home 🏡 gets hurt ( minor cuts / burns / wounds), nope I don’t use band aid / antiseptic, instead I get some aloe vera from my garden and apply the fresh gel to it, allow it to air dry and then leave it. It magically gets clotted & healed very quickly. After experiencing and practically seeing it’s healing power I’ve felt in love with this miraculous ✨ plant.
Aloe vera gel is best when used fresh. Else can be refrigerated and stored in an air right container for a week or can be freezed into cubes and stored for few more days. This cannot be replaced by any market bought ones because the gel would definitely need preservatives and using them might cause more harm than good. Instead grow a plant in your backyard / balconies / indoor. Aloe vera makes a wonderful houseplant. Not only will it help filter the air in your home <natural air purifier>, but you will always have it on hand for all of its wonderful uses. It can be found in any nursery. It’s a low maintenance plant and needs very little water.
How to prepare?
- A mature and healthy aloe plant is recognizable by its large, green leaves: they should be about 8 inches (20 cm) long. Aloe grows from the center outward, making the outermost leaves the oldest, largest, and richest of the leaves to use.
- Cut off one of the outermost leaves of an aloe vera plant using a sharp knife at the base of the plant.
- Once you have cut the leaf, a yellow substance will begin to ooze from the cut. The yellow ooze produced in this step is a sap called aloe latex <It is not the aloe vera gel>. Place the cut leaf in a plate and once the latex comes out, wash the aloe leaf under running water and let the water air dry for some time.
- Remove the hard, spine edges on either side of each leaf. Carefully cut them away. <Be sure that the aloe vera leaves are dry before you begin start cutting as a slippery leaf could lead to potential accidents.>
- Place the aloe leaf on a cutting board and using a sharp knife / peeler remove the top and bottom outer thin green skin and collect the aloe gel.
- Blend the gel until smooth. It will almost immediately froth when you start your blender. The froth will eventually go down. You can wait or you can just go ahead and pour the gel into the clean storage container and refrigerate, it will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. Your fresh aloe gel is ready!
- Pour the extra gel into ice cube trays and freeze until solid. Then transfer the aloe cubes into a freezer safe container or bag. Pull out an aloe cube as n when needed!
Liked the post? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates! Also if you tried it, do let us know the results in comments section below 👇, thankyou!