Biriyani is an rice dish with veggies/egg/meat, made with highly seasoned spices and is a favourite dish for many food lovers in India 🇮🇳! The word Biryani is derived from the Persian word Birian, which means ‘fried before cooking’ and Birinj, the Persian word for rice. So it could have originated in Persia, and brought to India by the Mughals.
There are many varieties of biriyani – however this egg biriyani tasted real good and I wanted to share the recipe with you guys…
- 1n1/2C basmati rice
- 3C water
- 1tbsp homemade ghee
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1inch cinnamon
- 5 cardamoms
- 1 star
- Few curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped & ground ginger garlic paste
- 4 onions chopped lengthwise
- 1/4tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2tsp coriander powder
- 1tsp red chilly powder
- Handful of fresh mint & coriander leaves ☘️ chopped
- 1/4C of thick curd/ yogurt
- 2tbsp of milk
- 5strands of saffron
- 5 boiled eggs <farm fresh eggs>
- Few cashews
How to prepare?
- Soak basmati rice in water for half an hour, then drain the water and cook the rice by adding a little less than 3C of water 💦 in a thick bottom vessel with lid.
- Add a bay leaf, 1 clove, little cinnamon, 1 cardamom, pinch of turmeric n ghee, close the lid and cook until done. Remove the lid and using a fork make rice fluffy and keep aside.
- Simultaneously boil eggs for 15mins, de-shell them. In a frying pan add a little ghee, salt, turmeric & chilly powder and fry the boiled eggs. Half the eggs, fry & keep aside.
- Keep all these ready – saffron soaked in warm milk, thick curd, freshly chopped & ground ginger garlic paste, chopped mint & coriander leaves, deep fried onions & roasted cashews…
- In a big pan add ghee, all whole spices mentioned in ingredients, chillies, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste, onions and sauté well until onions turn golden brown.
- Then add chopped mint & coriander leaves salt, turmeric pwd, coriander pwd, red chilly pwd sauté well, add curd and sauté for 5 mins.
- Add the above cooked rice and gently fold in & add the eggs, garnish with fried onions & roasted cashews and leave it atleast for an hour for all the flavours to blend in.
- Yummy egg 🥚biriyani is ready and it tastes best with onion raitha or veg kurma…
Liked the recipe? Do give it a thumbs up 👍, try it out and share how it turned out in comments below 👇 & don’t forget to subscribe!