Hello friends! This is a guest post by my friend – Bindu Balakrishna, who’s a mom, super talented women, crafter, zen tangler, jewellery maker <links to her fb pages, click to check it out!>… She has shared one of her family favourite recipe with all of us – veg momos!
for veg momos outer cover:
- 1 C unbleached all purpose flour / wheat maida
- ½ teaspoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as required
- Water 💦 for kneading
for veg momos stuffing:
- 1½ C finely chopped vegetables (I’ve added ½ cup chopped cabbage, ½ cup chopped carrots, ¼ cup chopped french beans and ¼ cup chopped capsicum)
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic pods finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ to 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as required
How to make???
Veg momos outer cover:
- Take the all purpose flour (maida), salt and oil in a bowl and mix it.
- Add water in parts and knead to a firm dough. Cover the dough and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Veg momos stuffing:
- Finely chop all the vegetables. You can also use a food processor to chop the vegetables.
- In a thick bottomed pan heat oil, add garlic & saute for 2-3 seconds.
- Add onions and saute for 10-15 seconds & add all the finely chopped vegetables.
- Increase the flame and stir fry the vegetables on a medium to high flame.
- Saute or stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes. then add soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Continue to stir fry on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Switch off the flame and add 1 to 2 tbsp of the spring onions greens. mix well.
- Check the taste and add more salt, pepper or soy sauce, if required.
Shaping the veg momos:
- Divide the dough in two parts. make a 6-7 inch log from each part. cut the log into equal slices.
- Make ball of each slice and keep them covered with a moist napkin.
- Take each dough ball and on a lightly dusted board, roll each dough ball into a thin circle of about 2-3 inch diameter.
- Try to get the edges to be thin and the center to be thick.
- Place 1 or 2 tsp of vegetable stuffing in the center.
- Lift one side of the edge and start pleating.
- Start folding and forming the pleats one by one. towards the end, join the pleats in the center.
- Prepare all momos this way and keep them covered under a moist napkin. till you are ready to steam them.
Steaming veg momos:
- Heat water in a steamer or in a electric cooker or in a pressure cooker. let the water come to a boil.
- In a greased steamer pan or in idli moulds, place the momos keeping space between them so that they don’t touch each other.
- Steam momos for 5-6 minutes.
- The steaming time may vary upon the thickness of momos outer layer.
- When you touch the momo then dough should not feel sticky to you. this means they are done and the momos will have a transparent look.
- Once done, garnish veg momos with spring onion greens.
- Serve vegetable momos with a spicy sauce like tomato-chili sauce or red chilli garlic chutney. Momos go very well with a spicy sauce.
Liked the recipe? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates.