Phool makhana / lotus seeds / fox nuts are the seeds of the plant Eurayle ferox. These seeds are popped before they are brought to the market to be sold and hence they are called phool makhana. It is an amazing source of calcium, protein, fiber & antioxidants and has wonderful health benefits, check this article to know the nutrition facts.
- 1C phool makhana
- 1tbsp ghee
For the paste:
- 1 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 green chillies
- 2 onions sliced
- 10 cashews
- 3 tomatoes 🍅 sliced
- 1tsp ginger n garlic finely chopped
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 tsps daniya pwd
- 1/2 tsp chilly pwd
For tadka & garnish:
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2C pre-boiled organic whole milk / fresh coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp grated jaggery
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
How to make?
- In a frying pan add 1/2tbsp ghee and roast the phool makhana until a little golden brown and then keep them aside.
- In the same pan roast the cashews and keep aside.
- In the same pan add all the ingredients listed under for the paste section in the mentioned order. Sauté the onions until golden brown and the tomatoes until done as shown below 👇
- Add fried cashews to it.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool and then blend to a fine paste.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee & splutter cumin seeds,add this paste and sauté until you get a nice cooked aroma. Add some water and boil for few minutes with closed lid.
- Finally add the above roasted makhana. Add milk and a dash of jaggery. Make sure the consistency of the gravy is a little thin as it would become thicker once it cools.
- Sauté it and switch off the flame, take it to a serving bowl & garnish with coriander leaves. Tasty phool makhana gravy is ready, it goes well with pulkas. Everyone @my home like it, so give it a shot…