Beetroots 🌰 are good sources of vitamins and minerals, such as folate(B9), manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin C. They are high in several beneficial plant compounds, especially betanin (beetroot red), vulgaxanthin and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. This chutney tastes yum, is very easy to prepare & is packed with nutrients. So why not try it out friends!
- 1 beetroot 🌰 peeled & diced <could try unpeeled for a more healtier version>
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 tsps coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp chenna dal
- 3 green chillies
- 3 garlic pods
- 2 tsps homemade tamarind paste
- pinch of hing / asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp chenna dal
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 red chilly 🌶
- Few curry leaves 🍃
How to make?
- In a frying pan add oil and once its hot add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chennai dal, green chillies and sauté for a minute.
- Later add the diced beetroot, and sauté and close the lid for 10mins – it will get cooked with the steam. Add salt as required and sauté for another 5 minutes. <Studies show that the betalain pigments in beets is less heat stable, for this reason it’s highly recomended that you keep beet steaming times to 15 minutes or less to acquire maximum health benefits.>
- Switch off the flame and add garlic pods n tamarind. Let it cool.
- Run it through a mixer until it blends well n turns out into chutney.
- For the seasoning, add some oil in the pan and add all the ingredients listed for seasoning, let them splutter and add it on the chutney.
Yummy n healthy beetroot 🌰 chutney tastes best with hot rice 🍚. Do try it out!
Liked the recipie? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates.
Nutrition source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=49