Phool makhana / lotus seeds / fox nuts are the seeds of the plant Eurayle ferox. These seeds are popped before they are brought to the market to be sold and hence they are called phool makhana. It is an amazing source of calcium, protein, fiber & antioxidants and has wonderful health benefits, check this article to know the nutrition facts.
- 1C phool makhana
- 1tbsp ghee
For the paste:
- 1 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 green chillies
- 2 onions sliced
- 10 cashews
- 3 tomatoes 🍅 sliced
- 1tsp ginger n garlic finely chopped
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 tsps daniya pwd
- 1/2 tsp chilly pwd
For tadka & garnish:
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2C pre-boiled organic whole milk / fresh coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp grated jaggery
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
How to make?
- In a frying pan add 1/2tbsp ghee and roast the phool makhana until a little golden brown and then keep them aside.
- In the same pan roast the cashews and keep aside.
- In the same pan add all the ingredients listed under for the paste section in the mentioned order. Sauté the onions until golden brown and the tomatoes until done as shown below 👇
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool and then blend to a fine paste.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee & splutter cumin seeds,add this paste and sauté until you get a nice cooked aroma. Add some water and boil for few minutes with closed lid.
- Finally add the above roasted makhana. Add milk and a dash of jaggery. Make sure the consistency of the gravy is a little thin as it would become thicker once it cools.
- Sauté it and switch off the flame, take it to a serving bowl & garnish with coriander leaves. Tasty phool makhana gravy is ready, it goes well with pulkas. Everyone @my home like it, so give it a shot…
Liked the recipe? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates. Do try the recipe and let us know how it turned up in the comments below 👇. Thankyou!
Almonds are just amazing in taste and are powerpacked with super nutrients like – biotin, vitamin E, manganese, copper, vitamin B12, phosphorous, magnesium, molybdenum & fiber! My LO loves having variety of nuts & dry fruits for snacks daily. Thanks to the Ajfan dates & nuts store near by that I get them, all fresh n that too unpacked, I carry my tins n jars n they fill it up for me! All I have to do is place them in the shelf, isn’t that cool! <Well if u think 🤔 it’s kinda crazy learn more about zerowastehome here.>
📌 Do you know?
- Many researches found that nut consumption is linked to a lower risk for heart disease. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease. Care about your heart? Go Nuts 😉!!
- Almonds provide double-barrelled protection against diabetese and cardiovascular disease.
- Almond’s healthy fats may help you lose weight.
- Almonds help prevent gallstones.
Read this article to find almond nutrition facts in detail.
- 1C Almonds
- 1/4C organic sugar
- Few strands of saffron
- Few cardamoms
How to make?
- Soak the almonds overnight in bowl of water 💦.
- Drain the water and peal the almonds.
- On a very low flame dry roast them until they turn a light brown, like this 👇 <optionally you can half the almonds to fasten the roasting>
- Add saffron & cardamom to the mixer.
- Add sugar to it and blend to a fine powder and keep it aside.
- Add almonds to the mixer and blend low in short intervals to attain a course powder. <*over blending will release oils from the almond and it would turn into a paste instead, plz note!>
- Finally add the above prepared sugar powder and blend it once. Voila! homemade almond / badam powder is ready!
- This s soo rich in nutrients, taste & flavour too. It can be used in preparing hot/cold badam milk 🥛 and can be added to prepare several desserts like badam kova, badam kheer, badam kulfi <recipes to come up soon> etc.
Liked the recipe? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates. Try it out and share how it turned out in the comments below 👇. Thankyou!
The most thirst-quenching & juicy fruit of all is definitely watermelon 🍉 since it has an extremely high water content, approximately 92% and has a sweet and delicious taste too… It is particularly refreshing on a hot summer ☀️ day, and is the ultimate summer fruit!
Watermelon is a good source of vitamin C and contains decent amounts of potassium, copper, vitamin B5 and vitamin A (from beta-carotene). It is a good source of two powerful & beneficial plant compounds, the amino acid citrulline and the antioxidant lycopene, that have been linked to lower blood pressure, improved metabolic health and decreased muscle soreness after exercise. For more nutrition details read this article.
We <family of 3 👪> consume half a small watermelon 🍉 everyday – I like eating them as is, my hubby likes the juice with breakfast & my LO loves having these popsicles!
- 1C Watermelon 🍉 diced
- 1tbsp Höney 🍯
How to prepare?
- Put the diced watermelon peices and honey in the blender and blend.
- Using a course metal sieve, separate the pulp & the juice. Pour the juice into the popsicle moulds like these 👇
- Freeze for few hours. To remove them easily from the moulds place them 3/4th immersed in water for a min. & hold the stick and pop them out…
They take like less than 5mins. to prepare and ur LOs are sure gonna love them!
P.S: Liked the post? Do give it a thumbs up 👍 and subscribe for post updates!
Appam is a traditional Kerala 🏝 breakfast dish – it is a type of pancake 🥞 made with fermented rice batter and coconut milk. It is crispy on one side and soft as cotton on the other n tastes yum. This is one of my favourite breakfast and a must try dish for those who haven’t tasted it yet. Get set 👩🍳👨🍳 n started!
Continue reading Homemade rice pancake with coconut milk / appam
I have tried another flavour and tint of lip balm, this time it’s strawberry 🍓!
- Grated Beeswax
- Raw & pure Cocoa butter
- Raw & pure Shea butter
- Coldpressed & virgin organic coconut oil
- Coldpressed organic sweet almond oil
- Coldpressed organic castor oil
- Organic ghee
- Dried strawberry 🍓 powder
Continue reading DIY Strawberry 🍓 Splash all-natural lip balm
Beetroots 🌰 are good sources of vitamins and minerals, such as folate(B9), manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin C. They are high in several beneficial plant compounds, especially betanin (beetroot red), vulgaxanthin and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. This chutney tastes yum, is very easy to prepare & is packed with nutrients. So why not try it out friends!
Continue reading Homemade beetroot chutney
Hello friends! This post was being long due ever since I posted the DIY all-natural hair serum to manage frizzy hair. Every time I go for a hair cut I get irritated with all the crazy recommendations done by the so called hair experts 😜 in the saloon. It’s their full time job to do so, please don’t blindly believe them and the misleading advertisements! Between are you aware that people working in saloons are prone to adverse health effects due to over exposure and contact with harmful chemicals, read this for yourself. Before using any products do check for the ingredients and check for their safety. Know the harmful chemicals to be avoided in shampoos and conditioners here & here. What if I say that u can diy a pre-wash conditioner in your very own kitchen in 5 mins! Yep it’s real simple, works great 👍 and is 💯% bio-degradable!!
Continue reading DIY all-natural pre-wash nourishing hair conditioner