Human body has various joints which require movement and lubrication. In our day to day life, some of the joins are rarely used and some are overused – which creates problems at later phase of life. Therefore basic movement of joints are essential in order to maintain them in healthy & proper condition. Sukshma Vyayama is a system of physical and breathing exercises which help to sequentially work out all joints of a body from the crown of head to the tip of toes, and warm it up. This system has a strong purifying effect on the energy of the body.
It was designed, developed and propagated initially by Maharshi Karthikeya Maharaj of Himalayas. He had great compassion and empathy for humanity and thought Swami Dhirendra Brahmachari, who in turn propagated it across the modern world.
<Maharishi Kartikeya (centre) flanked by his two pupils – Hari Bhakt Chaitanya (left) and Dhirendra Brahmachari (right) in 1955>
Sukshma Vyayama is designed for the Sūkṣma sarira or the subtle body <according to Bhagavad Gita, the Sūkṣma sarira / subtle body is composed of mind, intelligence and ego, which controls the gross / physical body> and hence it is named so.
There are 3 important components to be noted while performing Sukshma Vyayama –
- Breathing pattern
- Concentration point / area in your body &
- The actual exercise
Benefits of doing Sukshma Vyayama are immense, direct & immediate –
- It helps work out all joints of a body from the crown of head to the tip of toes, and warm it up.
- Removes block & tightness of the muscles & strengthens them.
- Increases flexibility of ligaments.
- Increases body mobility and makes it flexible.
- Develops coordination & equilibrium.
- Improves blood circulation & metabolism.
- Strengthens immunity.
- Increases vital lung capacity.
- Increases endurance i.e. capacity to withstand wear & tear.
- Facilitates cleaning of nadis <nadis are subtle channels in our body through which the vital energy called prana flows, a detail blog on what is prana is to come up soon..>
- Prepares the body for the practice of more complex asanas and pranayama.
Found the blog informative? Give it a thumbs up and subscribe for blog updates. I do conduct Patanjali Yoga āsanas, prānāyama & meditation 🧘🏻♀️ classes as nirvāṇa yoga @ HSR 1st Sector, Bangalore… People who stay near by & interested in joining do get in touch with me for further details. Thankyou!
References: Certification of YOGA Professionals Guidebook